Recipe by **Mandy**
This recipe is from Dominica, found on a Caribbean website. Untested by me, posted for ZWT III.
Top Review by pattikay in L.A.
This has lots of great flavor and goes together easily. I added a lot more hot sauce, which we thought balanced the sweetness of the brown sugar and chutney. It went very well with Recipe #214769. Thanks for posting!
- 2 broiler chickens, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons dark rum, divided
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 10 ounces chutney, mango
- 1 lemon, sliced for garnish
- 1 lime, sliced for garnish
- parsley, chopped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over washed and dried chicken. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, make Caribbean paste by mixing together sugar, 2 tablespoons of the rum, lime juice, lemon pepper, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, garlic powder, and hot pepper sauce; set aside.
- Place the chicken, skin side up, in a large shallow baking pan. Rub Caribbean paste evenly over the chicken.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 45 minutes or until the chicken is fork tender.
- In a blender, place chutney and remaining 2 tablespoons of rum,process to blend.
- Spoon chutney mixture over chicken and bake about 3 minutes more or until chutney is warm.
- Arrange chicken on a serving platter. Garnish with lime, lemon, and parsley.