Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat the 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and celery; saute until the vegetables are softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add the allspice, cloves, cayenne, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the vegetable stock, beans, tomato, thyme and hot-pepper sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the beans are cooking, cook the brown rice according to package directions.
- Divide the rice among 6 individual bowls. Top each serving with beans and sprinkle with the cilantro.