1/2 Photos of Caribbean Red Bean Chili With Pork
1 hr 15 mins
This is traditionally a vegetarian dish, but I needed to use up some leftover pork shoulder. You can use any cut of pork you wish, of course. I like to start this dish off with my favorite sofrito (Sofrito (Daisy Martinez)), but if you don't want to use that just start with a finely chopped onion. We like to puree the tomatoes in the food processor, but this is not necessary or traditional. I drain the liquid and puree the solids, then recombine. I like the sweet onion flavor for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons achiote oil (Achiote Oil) or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (Achiote Oil)
- 1/2 cup sofrito sauce (Sofrito (Daisy Martinez)) or 1 onion, finely chopped (Sofrito (Daisy Martinez))
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (leave whole or puree in food processor)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine or 1 1/4 cups beer
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth or 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 hot chili peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp ground ginger and 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
- 15 1/2 ounces canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or 1 packet Splenda)
- 1/2 lb cooked pork, cubed
- cooked rice, for serving (with corn)
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat; add sofrito (or onion) and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- 2Add tomatoes and garlic and cook for 10 minutes; stir in white wine (or beer), and broth.
- 3Stir in the lentils, thyme, cumin, soy sauce, chili, spices and oyster sauce, if using.
- 4Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are tender and flavors develop, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally; if lentils dry out, add water.
- 5Stir in kidney beans and sugar (or Splenda) and cook for 10 minutes more.
- 6Season with salt, if desired, stir in pork to heat through.
- 7Serve over rice and corn.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Red Bean Chili With Pork
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.2
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.9 mg
- Sodium 879.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 24.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: