Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Flori says she sometimes serves this in taco shells with lettuce and tomato. I added a can of tomatoes and jalapeno peppers to the mixture for spice. This is a great vegetarian option. Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home 2009 Annual Recipes and Flori Christensen of Bloomington, Indiana.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 30 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inch)
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces green chilies, chopped
- sour cream
- Place the sweet potato in a microwave safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes or until tender and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion, garlic, and pumpkin pie spice in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in beans and broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, simmer uncovered, for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Mash beans slightly with a fork and stir in the sweet potato. Cook until heated through.
- Layer six tortillas with 3/4 cup bean mixture, 1/4 cup cheese, and a rounded tablespoonful of chilies.
- Top each with another tortilla.
- Cook the quesadillas on a greased griddle or in two large greased skillets for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Cut into wedges, serve with sour cream and salsa if desired.