This recipe makes delicious use of the 'so good for you' sweet potato. Yams are a white version of sweet potato and can be used equally well. Try serving this with steamed rice, mixed with cooked peas ad sweetcorn. Taken from "Hot And Spicy Cooking": Colour Library
- 450 g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red chili peppers or 1 green chili pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml ground coriander
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 29.58 ml coconut cream
- 570 ml water
- 120 g peeled prawns
- 120 g chicory lettuce, shredded
- 225 g bok choy, shredded
- 14.79 ml dark brown sugar
- 29.58 ml lime juice
- desiccated coconut, to sprinkle
- In a large saucepan, mix together the sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli pepper, spices, coconut cream and water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the potato is almost tender.
- Add the prawns, chicory and chinese leaves. Simmer for 4 - 5 minutes, until the ingredients are warmed through, but the leaves are still crisp.
- Add the sugar and lime juice, and season to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with the dessicated coconut.
Great!!! Following advice of other reviewers, I doubled the spices. Very yummy, everyone loved it! I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT9 - for the Gourmet Goddesses.
Excellent dish! I made two servings and halved the recipe except for the spices, which was perfect for our taste. I think it might have been a bit bland had I halved the spices, too. But this way, it was delicious and right up our alley :) Thanks for posting!<br/>Made for ZWT 9 / Caribbean for The Apron String Travelers
This was very good - made it for company. DH liked it a lot and so did I; company was so-so. I do think I'll add more seasoning next time, it was a little on the bland side. Loved the crunch of the cabbage and the coconut. I used more shrimp than called for b/c 120 grams didn't seem like enough for 4 people. Made for ZWT9 Soup a Stars