Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
This recipe makes delicious use of the 'so good for you' sweet potato. Yams are a white version of sweet potato and can be used equally well. Try serving this with steamed rice, mixed with cooked peas ad sweetcorn. Taken from "Hot And Spicy Cooking": Colour Library
Top Review by Jostlori
Great!!! Following advice of other reviewers, I doubled the spices. Very yummy, everyone loved it! I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT9 - for the Gourmet Goddesses.
- 450 g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red chili peppers or 1 green chili pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 570 ml water
- 120 g peeled prawns
- 120 g chicory lettuce, shredded
- 225 g bok choy, shredded
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- desiccated coconut, to sprinkle
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, mix together the sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli pepper, spices, coconut cream and water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the potato is almost tender.
- Add the prawns, chicory and chinese leaves. Simmer for 4 - 5 minutes, until the ingredients are warmed through, but the leaves are still crisp.
- Add the sugar and lime juice, and season to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with the dessicated coconut.