Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dish is so delicious, your family will never believe you didn't spend all day in the kitchen.
- 1 large uncooked sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small fresh apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 lb uncooked lean pork tenderloin, trimmed of all visible fat and cut into 12 half-inch slices
- 2 medium uncooked scallions, sliced
- 1 medium uncooked scallion, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Tear off four 12-inch squares of parchment paper or foil; fold each in half, lengthwise, and cut into a heart shape with the fold running vertically down the center. Open each heart to lie flat.
- In a medium bowl, mix sweet potato, apple and brown sugar; spoon onto center of one side of each heart.
- In same bowl, mix apple juice, ginger, salt, allspice and cinnamon. With heel of your hand, press pork slices to 1/4-inch thickness; add to spice mixture and toss to coat. Place pork over sweet potatoes; sprinkle with sliced scallions. Fold parchment over pork. Starting at top of each heart, make a series of tight overlapping folds to seal packets. Place on a baking sheet; bake until pork is no longer pink and sweet potatoes are tender, about 18 minutes. Open packets carefully when testing for doneness, as steam will escape. Serve, drizzled with any juices and garnished with chopped scallions.