Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A slow cooker dish inspired by Caribbean cuisine.
- 2 cups dried pink beans
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons barley
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 allspice berries, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubed
- 1⁄2 lb spicy sausage, cut into rounds
- 1 slice bacon, slice
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- In a slow cooker, combine the beans, stock, barley, tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic, allspice, ginger, brown sugar, and chile.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.
- Add in the squash and sausage; continue cooking for 2 hours, until flavors meld; season to taste with salt.
- Cook bacon in frypan over medium-high heat, until crispy; transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain; then crumble.
- Spoon beans into bowls; garnish with bacon and green onions; serve hot.
- **Suggested beverage—a good Jamaican beer such as Red Stripe.