This is a one dish meal, with lots of good vegetables in it. The Scotch Bonnet is a hot pepper, so if you can't find one use a habanero or jalepeno.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in, skinless
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to season chicken
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 lb kale, stemmed, leaves chopped
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced into 3/4 inch half-moons
- 4 ounces okra, trimmed, halved lengthwise
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, pierced (If you like it spicy, dice it up)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup light coconut milk
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Pat the chicken dry, and season with some salt and pepper. Add the chicken, smooth side down, to the pan and cook until brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- 2Add the onion and garlic to the pot, and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the allspice and tomatoes and cook until the juices are almost evaporated.
- 3Add the chicken stock, chicken thighs, kale, sweet potatoes, okra, bay leaves, 1 1/2 tsp salt, Scotch Bonnet, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered until the chicken is cooked through and the sweet potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- 4Stir in the coconut milk and the shrimp and simmer until the shrimp turn pale pink and are firm but not tough and rubbery. (About 2 minutes. They should look like a C, not an O).
- 5Ladle the stew into bowls and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Pepper Pot With Chicken & Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (660 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.5
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 173.0 mg
- Sodium 1246.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 38.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk