Recipe by Sue Lau
A nicely spiced vegetable soup that is hearty enough to be a meal. It has an island flavor from the coconut that is slightly sweet with just a touch of herbs.
Top Review by stormylee
Must echo justcallmetoni: hot, hot hot! A few changes: I used sweet potato instead of squash and made this on the stovetop, simmering, covered, for about an hour. I only added the kidney beans towards the end of the cooking time so they wouldn't get mushy (personal preference!). I used one seeded and minced fresh red habanero pepper, and omitted the chili powder since I only have the extra hot variety. I'm very glad that I did, since the one habanero was enough to make this so, very, very, hot indeed! Next time I'll definitely use only half a habanero or choose a milder pepper - but there will absolutely be a next time as the sweet/spicy/tomatoey/creamy combo is one of my favourites! Thank you Sue!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers or 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 cups acorn squash or 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes or 4 cups carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped,including juice
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onions in oil in a skillet until tender.
- Place onions in crockpot along with garlic, ginger, chili powder, scotch bonnet, coriander, celery seeds, salt, pepper, sugar, squash (or carrots), kidney beans, tomatoes and stock.
- Stir to mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Add coconut milk and stir well.
- Set crockpot to high and cook for 15-20 minutes more.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.