1/1 Photo of Caribbean Pepper Pot Soup
8 hrs 15 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
A nicely spiced vegetable soup that is hearty enough to be a meal. It has an island flavor from the coconut that is slightly sweet with just a touch of herbs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers or 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 cups acorn squash or 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes or 4 cups carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped,including juice
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1Cook onions in oil in a skillet until tender.
- 2Place onions in crockpot along with garlic, ginger, chili powder, scotch bonnet, coriander, celery seeds, salt, pepper, sugar, squash (or carrots), kidney beans, tomatoes and stock.
- 3Stir to mix well.
- 4Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 5Add coconut milk and stir well.
- 6Set crockpot to high and cook for 15-20 minutes more.
- 7Garnish with cilantro before serving.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Pepper Pot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.0
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 678.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: