Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Cooking Light Cookbook, 1989. Sounds very different. Hope to make it someday. Makes 24 appetizer meatballs. Each one, served with 1 tbsp. sauce is 40 calories.
- 16 ounces ground turkey
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs, use whole wheat
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil cooking spray
for tropical sauce
- 1 medium mango, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lime rind, grated
- For the meatballs, combine the turkey and the next 6 ingredients, mixing well.
- Shape mixture into 24, 1-inch, meatballs.
- Arrange on a rack or a roasting pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400°F for 12 minutes or until meatballs are browned.
- While the meatballs are in the oven, make the sauce by placing the mango in a blender and process until smooth.
- Combine cornstarch and sugar in a small saucepan and add the pureed mango, water and remaining ingredients.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. This yields 1 1/2 cups sauce.
- Serve meatballs in a chafing dish with the sauce.
I like this sauce but it's a little 'gritty'. The texture is off and I'm not sure if it's the pureed mangoes or the cornstarch. It needs a little 'kick' too.