Recipe by Happy Harry #2
This is a recipe I have had for years but never got around to making. I'm putting it here for safe keeping. UPDATE: May '06-Finally made these using ground chicken. The sauce truly is fabulous!
- 1 lb lean pork, ground
- 3⁄4 cup water chestnut, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, minced
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon oil (not olive oil)
- 1 green pepper, cut in 1 inch squares
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (may use pineapple)
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups cooked rice, hot
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine pork, water chestnuts, green onions, ginger, 1 tsp soy sauce and egg.
- Shape into 1 inch balls. Roll meatballs in cornstarch.
- Pour oil for frying into a wok or deep pan about 11/2 inches deep. Heat oil to 375F or until a chunk of bread sizzles.
- Add meatballs to oil just a few at a time so not to lower the oil temperature.
- Cook until browned all over, drain on paper towels.
- When done with the meatballs, pour out oil. Wipe out wok or skillet with paper towels.
- Return wok to high heat and pour in 1 tbls oil.
- Add green pepper and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add meatballs and water. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until meatballs are done in center.
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, chili sauce, 1 tbls soy sauce, and honey. Pour over meatballs and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- This dish goes very well over the rice.