1/1 Photo of Caribbean Meatballs
1 hr 25 mins
Happy Harry #2's Note:
This is a recipe I have had for years but never got around to making. I'm putting it here for safe keeping. UPDATE: May '06-Finally made these using ground chicken. The sauce truly is fabulous!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean pork, ground
- 3/4 cup water chestnut, minced
- 1/2 cup green onion, minced
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon oil (not olive oil)
- 1 green pepper, cut in 1 inch squares
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice (may use pineapple)
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups cooked rice, hot
- oil (for frying)
- 1In large bowl, combine pork, water chestnuts, green onions, ginger, 1 tsp soy sauce and egg.
- 2Shape into 1 inch balls. Roll meatballs in cornstarch.
- 3Pour oil for frying into a wok or deep pan about 11/2 inches deep. Heat oil to 375F or until a chunk of bread sizzles.
- 4Add meatballs to oil just a few at a time so not to lower the oil temperature.
- 5Cook until browned all over, drain on paper towels.
- 6When done with the meatballs, pour out oil. Wipe out wok or skillet with paper towels.
- 7Return wok to high heat and pour in 1 tbls oil.
- 8Add green pepper and stir-fry 1 minute.
- 9Reduce heat to low and add meatballs and water. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until meatballs are done in center.
- 10In a small bowl, combine orange juice, chili sauce, 1 tbls soy sauce, and honey. Pour over meatballs and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- 11This dish goes very well over the rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.1
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 619.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 32.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: