Prep 6 hrs
Cook 45 mins
From the Kentucky Beef Council. I haven't made this yet but it looks delicious. Posting here for safe keeping. Marinade time is 6 hours to overnight, so you may want to prepare it a day ahead.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef flank steak
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped divided
- 1 tablespoon caribbean jerk seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice for Marinade; discard excess juice. Reserve crushed pineapple for Coconut Rice.
- Combine reserved pineapple juice with the lime juice, 2 T cilantro and the jerk seasoning in a small bowl. Place beef steak and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator for 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Prepare Coconut Rice. Combine water and rice in medium saucepan; bring to a boil Reduce heat, cover and simmer 35 to 45 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in reserved pineapple, coconut, almonds and 1 T of cilantro. Season with salt, as desired.
- Meanwhile, remove steak from marinade and discard marinade. If using charcoal grill, you will want medium, ash-covered coals. If using a gas grill, preheat to medium heat. Grill steak, covered, for 11 to 16 minutes on charcoal grill, 16 to 21 minutes on gas grill. Grill to medium rare (145 degrees) to medium (160 degrees) doneness, turning occasionally. Season with salt, as desired.
- Carve steak across the grain into thin slices. Serve with rice.