1/3 Photos of Caribbean Macaroni Cheese Pie
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Macaroni and cheese is incredibly popular in the Caribbean!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried short cut macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3 tablespoons white flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon mild prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup peas (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped plum tomatoes, canned (or fresh)
- 2/3 cup corn kernel (fresh or canned or frozen)
- fresh parsley, chopped (to garnish)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350*F. Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a boil and cook the macaroni until al dente(about 8 minutes). Rinse under cold water and drain.
- 2Melt 2 tbls. of the butter in a pan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly until the sauce boils and thickens.
- 3Stir in the mustard, cinnamon and 1 cup of the cheese. Cook gently, stirring often, until the cheese has melted, then remove from the heat and whisk in the egg. Set aside.
- 4Melt the remaining butter in a small fryiing pan and cook the scallions, chopped tomatoes and corn over a gentle heat for 5-10 minutes. Add peas now if using. Season to taste.
- 5Tip half of the cooked macaroni into a greased ovenproof dish. Pour over the other half of the cheese sauce and mix well. Then spoon the tomato and corn mix over the macaroni.
- 6Stir the remaining macaroni into the remaining cheese sauce, then spread this carefully over the tomato and corn mixture. Top with the rest of the cheese. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbling.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Macaroni Cheese Pie
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 614.6
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 130.9 mg
- Sodium 438.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 25.7 g