Top Review by Cook A.C. Chitwood
I tried this out for a party and it did great, not even a scrap for us to take home. I absolutely loved the taste of the home made crust. This is one of the best Key Lime Pie recipies I have had, the filling is just great too. You should definitely try this pie!
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) cans coconut, flaked
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- To prepare crust, place coconut in thin layer on 2 (10 x 13-inch) cookie sheets.
- Toast coconut in 350 degrees oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Stir frequently, and watch carefully.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, reduce the oven to 250 degrees.
- In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks, then slowly beat in superfine sugar until completely dissolved.
- Fold in cooled coconut. Press this mixture into greased 9-inch pie plate and bake at 250 degrees for 7 minutes and set. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To make filling:
- Blend together sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime rind and rum in large mixing bowl.
- Beat in the egg yolks.
- Gently mix in sour cream to combine well.
- Pour into cooled crust. Swirl meringue over top of filling.
- Bake in 350 degrees oven 20 minutes or until meringue is nicely browned.
- Cool, then chill at least 30 minutes before serving.
- To make Meringue:
- Beat egg whites in large mixing bowl until soft peaks are formed.
- Gradually beat in sugar until whites are stiff, but not dry, being sure the sugar is dissolved.