Recipe by Rita~
Can't be in the tropics but you'll feel like you are when you're enjoying this salsa made with tropical fresh sweet mangoes, papaya, crisp red peppers and ginger mixed with aromatic spices and herbs topping the grilled jerk chicken that is well seasoned with the same mixture of herbs and spices.
Top Review by Lazerclaire
Excellent recipe. This is what I imagine when I think of Caribbean jerk. I like to use pineapple in the salsa. My mouth is watering just thinking about how good this jerk chicken is!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Spice Mixture for marinated chicken and flavoring the salsa
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 2 1⁄2 ounces minced red onions
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh parsley or 1⁄3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon scotch bonnet pepper, minced (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb diced fresh papaya (two cups)
- 1 mango, peeled cored and diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the Spice Mixture in a mini food processor pulsing to a chunky mixture. Or finely chop all together.
- Coat chicken with 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture rubbing in and marinade for 1/2-1 hour in refrigerator.
- Add the rest of the spice mixture to the salsa ingredients. Chill.
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Rub the chicken with the oil.
- Place on hot grill and cook 4-5 minutes pre side till done. Depending on how thick the breasts are. May be pan fried or broiled as well.
- Plate chicken and top generously with salsa.
- Serve with rice or on a bed of salad greens.