Recipe by Tony Spataro
A delicious, authentic rendition of an island classic.
Top Review by loof
WOW we just loved this chicken! Perfect combination of spices with enough juice/vinegar to make the chicken tender and juicy. We used boneless, skinless breasts and marinated for about 12 hours, then grilled. Great recipe - thanks for sharing it! Made for Fall PAC 2009
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground sage
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about one lime)
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, finely diced
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 8 chicken thighs or 8 chicken thighs or 8 chicken drumsticks
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar.
- With a wire whisk, slowly add the olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice.
- Add the Scotch bonnet pepper, onion, and green onions and mix well.
- Place chicken into one-gallon plastic freezer bag; pour marinade into bag; remove excess air from bag and seal. Marinate for at least 12 hours, turning bag every 6 hours -- marinate longer if possible, up to three days!
- Preheat an outdoor grill.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill for 6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked.