Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe reminds so much of the taste of vacation that I HAD to share it! We tasted it a few years ago, and begged the chef for the recipe just about everyday during our stay! A few simple ingrediants, 1- 2 hours of marinade time, and VOILA! The compliments will just keep on coming!
- 1 lb large shrimp, thawed, deveined and unshelled
- 1⁄3 cup dark rum
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (4 pepper mix is best)
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 limes, fresh
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Prepare your shrimp, and leave in the fridge until you're ready.
- Next, mix the rum, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, ground pepper, chopped basil, olive oil, garlic salt and juice from 2 of the limes.
- Using a chocolate grater, add the zest from the third lime to the mix.
- Use the juice from the last lime, and add that to the mix as well.
- Place your shrimp into the liquid, and leave for between 1 - 2 hours. (60 minutes seems to be the magic number for us, because after that, the rum is a little overpowering).
- Grill on a hot barbeque about 2-3 minutes each side, or until pink. The caramelisation is amazing!
- In absence of a barbeque, pan frying or broiling is good too.
- We serve on stir fried vegetables (using the juice from the mix) and pasta.
This recipe is soooo good and soooo easy. I've made it many times with a couple of changes. I use cilantro instead of basil (seems more Caribbean to me) and real minced garlic instead of garlic salt and add at least 1/4 teas. red pepper flakes.