These zesty grilled steaks are flavored with a Caribbean-style marinade and are perfect for summer easy-eating.
- 1 fluid ounce coconut-flavored rum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 slices onions
- 6 beef top sirloin steaks, 8 oz. each
- Whisk together the rum, salt, pepper, cinnamon, powder, oregano, sage, vinegar, and lemon juice in a bowl; pour into a gallon-sized, resealable plastic bag. Add the onion and steaks to the marinade. Seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible. Allow to marinate in refrigerator 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat the barbecue grill and sear steaks to your preference. Depending on thickness, about 4 minutes per side for medium rare.
This produced a nice flavorful steak that was very enjoyable. I used a flank steak, red onion, and omitted the sage (personal preference). The marinade really penetrated the meat and everybody enjoyed this. Made by a Tasty Tester for ZWT9.
What a great flavored steak!!! I made 1/2 of recipe and used a very large bone-in rib eye steak. I have found that I am not a huge fan of cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves etc. with savory type of dishes, it reminds me of desserts too much, so I cut back on the cinnamon and just did a couple of sprinkles, but otherwise, followed as written. It didn't say to do anything with the sliced onions, so I added them to my small cast iron skillet and cooked them on the grill along side of the steak, yummy!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT 9.
This was a really good and not overpowering marinade. I let it marinate for 5 1/2 hours; it grilled up quickly! Made for Week 7 Football Pool win 2010.