Recipe by Elmotoo
This is not 'beer' as most think of it. There is no alcohol involved. This popular drink is usually made around Christmas time in the Caribbean, but can be enjoyed whole year round. Found at Squidoo website for Caribbean recipes. **Note it steeps for 1 WEEK. This is the 7 day 'cook time'.**
Top Review by Sharon123
I halved the recipe. This was easy and oh so good! I poured a quarter of boiling water over the remains and made a little less potent juice. Thanks for a great punch of ginger!
- 4 large fresh gingerroot
- 2 limes, juice of (1/4 cup of grapefruit juice if neither is available) or 1 small lemon (1/4 cup of grapefruit juice if neither is available)
- 1 cup sugar (more if a sweeter taste is desired)
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and scrape the skin off the ginger. Grate or blend the peeled ginger (grating brings out the flavor more, but to save time it can be blended).
- Put ginger, lime juice, cloves, cinnamon stick and 3/4 cup of the sugar into a wide mouthed gallon glass or ceramic jar.
- Add 10 cups boiling water to jar and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Set ginger mixture aside to steep and cool to room temperature.
- Cover jar tightly and refrigerate for 1 week.
- Line a large strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth.
- Strain ginger mixture through strainer into another wide mouthed gallon glass or ceramic jar, firmly pressing on solids with the back of a spoon to extract as much flavor as possible.
- Throw away the solids.
- Add the remaining sugar to ginger beer and stir until it dissolves.
- Serve in glasses over crushed ice, garnished with mint sprigs.