168 hrs 10 mins
This is not 'beer' as most think of it. There is no alcohol involved. This popular drink is usually made around Christmas time in the Caribbean, but can be enjoyed whole year round. Found at Squidoo website for Caribbean recipes. **Note it steeps for 1 WEEK. This is the 7 day 'cook time'.**
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and scrape the skin off the ginger. Grate or blend the peeled ginger (grating brings out the flavor more, but to save time it can be blended).
- 2Put ginger, lime juice, cloves, cinnamon stick and 3/4 cup of the sugar into a wide mouthed gallon glass or ceramic jar.
- 3Add 10 cups boiling water to jar and stir until sugar dissolves.
- 4Set ginger mixture aside to steep and cool to room temperature.
- 5Cover jar tightly and refrigerate for 1 week.
- 6Line a large strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth.
- 7Strain ginger mixture through strainer into another wide mouthed gallon glass or ceramic jar, firmly pressing on solids with the back of a spoon to extract as much flavor as possible.
- 8Throw away the solids.
- 9Add the remaining sugar to ginger beer and stir until it dissolves.
- 10Serve in glasses over crushed ice, garnished with mint sprigs.
Browse Our Top Non-Alcoholic Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Non-Alcoholic Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Ginger Beer
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 82.3
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: