Recipe by Julie B's Hive
From my Jenn-Aire cookbook and posted for ZWT3.
Top Review by Tricia Mendes
Absolutely gorgeous dish! I cooked this in the slow cooker/crockpot on high for 8 hours - the beans take a lot of time when you put them in raw!! I added a litre of stock to compensate for the uncooked beans, and all the liquid was absorbed by the time it was all cooked. Will definitely come into my list of favourites!!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes in puree
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or 2 tablespoons orange juice or 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 1⁄4 cups eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 6 drops hot red pepper sauce (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil over low heat. Add green pepper, celery, garlic, and carrots; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the cumin, allspice, oregano, and salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (break them up) and sherry, honey, and the lime rind. Bring to a boil, cover, cook for 15 minutes. Add eggplant and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in the beans and red pepper sauce and cook just until heated through.