Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (brown are preferred)
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger (Jamaican if available)
- Add the cumin, coriander, poppy and mustard seeds to a nonstick pan, toast them over medium heat until the mustard seeds start to jump about.
- Add the cloves and pepper and mix.
- Remove from heat and grind the mixture either with a mortar or a food processor/blender.
- When finely ground, mix well with the tumeric and ginger.
- Put the mixture through a fine sieve and store in a covered glass jar.