Cook3 hrs 15 mins
A lovely lady who hailed from Trinidad shared this spectacular recipe with me many years ago. She was a coworker who brought this dish in for special occasions or potluck dinners. It was always the first empty serving dish at every event! She was so marvelously fun to work with and such a sweetheart to share this fantastic recipe with me!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Cut up the chicken, trim the fat and skin.
- Wash the chicken with the lemon juice and drain.
- Combine the chicken parts with the onions, garlic, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper in a bowl and marinate for 2 hours.
- Heat a stew pot on medium heat and then add the oil and curry powder.
- Once the curry has darkened (do not burn), add the chicken and onions and brown chicken on all sides.
- Add the water then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice.
This recipe is great for first time curry eaters.It`s real easy to make.If you love curry and spice just ajust the seasoning to your taste.This a great start now make your own.
This very similar to a recipe a Trinidian woman gave me. We love it. She uses lime juice instead of lemon juice. She also adds some thyme and fresh ginger to the chicken seasoning and then adds 2 bay leave to the oil in the pot. If you could get Golden Ray brand margarine, this is added near the end for some extra flavor. Smells so great while it cooks! She uses Chief Brand curry powder which comes in a pouch. You could find it at some Asian markets or on line.
This was wonderful! My whole family loved it! Thanks for sharing!