- 4 slices bread, cut thin
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 4 slices gruyere cheese
- 4 slices ham, thin (Virginia or black Forest)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 slices tomatoes, cut thin
- 1⁄2 avocado, peeled and sliced thin
Directions See How It's Made
- If desired, cut crusts off bread., then butter one side of each slice,.
- Lay 2 slices, butter side down, on a work surface covered with wax paper. Cover the 2 slices evenly with mustard.
- Top each with 1 slice of cheese, then 2 slices of ham.
- Drizzle the honey over the ham.
- Place the tomato on ham and cover with avocado. Top with remaining 2 slices of bread, buttered side up.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Fry the sandwiches, one at a time, in a heavy skillet over medium heat until golden. Carefully turn the sandwiches over and fry the other side.
- Place the remaining slice of cheese on top of the sandwich and broil until cheese is melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Cut the sandwiches in half or quarters and serve immediately.