Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve the piquant sauce hot with boiled rice or broiled chicken. Makes about 2 cups.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped seeded fresh red chile
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- In a medium heavy-based saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Add onions, green pepper, garlic and chilies; saute until the peppers are soft.
- Add salt, pepper and tomatoes. Cook about 10 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and wine and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.