Cook1 hr 10 mins
Sweet potatoes and yams thrive on many of the Caribbean islands. They show up in everything from soups to desserts. This soup is creamy, sweet and very tasty.
- Pierce sweet potatoes several times with a sharp knife and bake in a 350°F oven 1 hour or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, peel, place in a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and basil.
- Cook, stirring frequently, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add small amounts of water as necessary, about a tablespoon at a time to prevent sticking.
- Gradually sit milk into saucepan. Add mashed sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, and allspice.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until soup just begins to boil.
- Serve right away or remove from heat and cover until serving time.
Very much enjoyed!! I baked my sweet potatoes ahead of time, so that when I came to make the soup, after work on a cool Monday night, it was very quickly prepared. I didn't actually mash the potato flesh, just chopped it into the soup, but it broke down and created a smoothish/chunkyish texture, which we enjoyed! I also added a bit more water, as I went. Lovely soup, enjoyed with a stick of home-baked French bread, thank you! Made for Oz/NZ swap#36
This soup was lovely, it was so flavorful and tasty. I also didn't mash the potatoes completely, resulting in a great texture. Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe that was quick and easy to make.
When making this recipe I decided to stick with the 'creamy' part of it so did peel the sweet potatoes, but another time I'd like to try it WITH skins, & dicing the cooked potatoes very small! As I'm always saying, I love those skins! For those of us who really enjoy yams, this soup is a delight to have on the table! Definitely a keeper recipe! Thanks for posting! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the FAMILY PICKS part of ZWT5]