Recipe by morgainegeiser
Sweet potatoes and yams thrive on many of the Caribbean islands. They show up in everything from soups to desserts. This soup is creamy, sweet and very tasty.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Very much enjoyed!! I baked my sweet potatoes ahead of time, so that when I came to make the soup, after work on a cool Monday night, it was very quickly prepared. I didn't actually mash the potato flesh, just chopped it into the soup, but it broke down and created a smoothish/chunkyish texture, which we enjoyed! I also added a bit more water, as I went. Lovely soup, enjoyed with a stick of home-baked French bread, thank you! Made for Oz/NZ swap#36
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Pierce sweet potatoes several times with a sharp knife and bake in a 350°F oven 1 hour or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, peel, place in a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and basil.
- Cook, stirring frequently, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add small amounts of water as necessary, about a tablespoon at a time to prevent sticking.
- Gradually sit milk into saucepan. Add mashed sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, and allspice.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until soup just begins to boil.
- Serve right away or remove from heat and cover until serving time.