Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Sweet potatoes and yams thrive on many of the Caribbean islands. They show up in everything from soups to desserts. This soup is creamy, sweet and very tasty.
- Pierce sweet potatoes several times with a sharp knife and bake in a 350°F oven 1 hour or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, peel, place in a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and basil.
- Cook, stirring frequently, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add small amounts of water as necessary, about a tablespoon at a time to prevent sticking.
- Gradually sit milk into saucepan. Add mashed sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, and allspice.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until soup just begins to boil.
- Serve right away or remove from heat and cover until serving time.
Very much enjoyed!! I baked my sweet potatoes ahead of time, so that when I came to make the soup, after work on a cool Monday night, it was very quickly prepared. I didn't actually mash the potato flesh, just chopped it into the soup, but it broke down and created a smoothish/chunkyish texture, which we enjoyed! I also added a bit more water, as I went. Lovely soup, enjoyed with a stick of home-baked French bread, thank you! Made for Oz/NZ swap#36
This soup was lovely, it was so flavorful and tasty. I also didn't mash the potatoes completely, resulting in a great texture. Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe that was quick and easy to make.
When making this recipe I decided to stick with the 'creamy' part of it so did peel the sweet potatoes, but another time I'd like to try it WITH skins, & dicing the cooked potatoes very small! As I'm always saying, I love those skins! For those of us who really enjoy yams, this soup is a delight to have on the table! Definitely a keeper recipe! Thanks for posting! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the FAMILY PICKS part of ZWT5]