Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Pineapple is the surprise ingredient in this Caribbean-style cornbread! Originally from a food section newspaper article about a restaurant in Anguilla. It's delicious with ham and will go well with summer barbeques!
Top Review by Bblondie08
I loved this recipe. I used Jiffy cornbread mix as directed then add a half a can of creamed corn , half can of crushed pineapple the small can and it turned out great. I even made a pineapple honey butter to go with the muffins I used 2 soften sticks of butter some honey , nutmeg,cinnamon and the rest of the pineapple make sure and drain pineapple really good for the butter. This was really good I think it would be good with green chilies added to it also.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned cream-style corn
- 1⁄2 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup mild white cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch square glass cake pan (you can use a metal pan but the recipe states that glass works better).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar.
- While mixer is running, add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add corn, pineapple and cheese; mix to blend.
- At low speed, add flour mixture and mix until well blended.
- Pour batter into pan and bake until golden brown around edges and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.