Recipe by Manami
Have been searching for the right recipe for a long time and when we made these they were out of this world. I found it on Emerils.com and what a find it is! We did not make the Island Hot Sauce - be careful this is really hot.
- canola oil
- 1⁄4 lb conch, cleaned, cooked and diced small
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- spice essence, to taste
- island hot sauce, to taste
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Island Hot Sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 scotch bonnet peppers, halved and seeded and stems removed
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar (to taste)
- kosher salt, to taste
- water to cover bell pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saute pan, add canola oil and heat.
- Add the conch, onion and garlic; saute until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Make the batter by combining the eggs, milk, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour, 1/4 at a time, beating and incorporating until all is used and the batter is smooth.
- Season with Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir in the parsley and the cooled conch mixture.
- Heat the oil to 360°F.
- Drop by the batter, a heaping tablespoon at a time, into the oil.
- When the fritters pop to the surface, roll them around in the oil to brown them evenly.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in air tight jar or container.(Yield 2/3 cup).
- Season immediately with the Essence.
- Island Hot Sauce:.
- Sweat onion, carrots and peppers till soft, about 5 minutes.
- Cover with water and vinegar.
- Simmer till carrots are very tender.
- Puree in blender and season to taste, with vinegar and salt.
- Thin, as necessary, with a bit more water.
- Serve with fritters and enjoy!