try this coleslaw with my Beef Jerk Burgers ( Caribbean) a nice refreshing slaw. Also try with roast of brisket or bbq. or jerk chicken.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded fine
- 4 large carrots, shredded fine
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and chop fine
- 3⁄4 cup Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄4 cup eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
- Shred cabbage fine.
- Shred carrots fine.
- Drain well canned pineapple chunks.
- Combine fruit and vegies in a large bowl and toss.
- To prepare the dressing:.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk with the mustard of choice and salt.
- Gradually add a little bit (a teaspoon at a time) of the oil, beating constantly.
- Continue adding oil slowly, beating all the while.
- Gradually beat in the evaporated milk, vinegar and peppers.
- Pour dressing over all, and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- You can also add a few green spring chopped onions if desired.
I used habenero sauce rather than peppers which allowed me to control the heat. We like things hot and I used 1 1/2 tsp. I used jicama like other reviewers along with purple cabbage because that's what I had. Made a pretty salad.
From: Sandi Mayer I added the following: Jicama â€“ thinly sliced Juliann strips Sugar snap peas â€“ trimmed & cut into small bits Radish thinly sliced julienned strips Mango â€“ cut into small pieces Sliced almonds I added blue poppy seeds to the dressing â€“ only about a Â¼ - Â½ teaspoon. And I used a little bit of heavy cream and cut back the same amount of condensed milk. I used a jalapeno pepper in place of the scotch bonnets I also added about a Â½ teaspoon of Napa Styleâ€™s Citrus Rosemary Gray salt . YUMMY!
Very nice flavor! This had the oddest combination of flavors to me, (sweetened condensed mild??) but they worked very well. I substituted bell pepper for the scotch bonnet because I'm a whimp but I think if you do that, you need to serve along side something spicy to balance the sweetness. It was great on it's own, but you could tell it was really meant to have a spicy flavor with it. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT3!