Caribbean Coconut Rice & Pigeon Peas
- ** Note: If using canned peas, drain and reserve the liquid.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over high heat. Add the rice, and continue to sauté until the rice turns opaque and golden brown. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for a few more minutes but DO NOT let the rice over-brown. Stir in the peas. Do not stir again.
- Combine water and coconut milk. Dissolve bouillon completely into water/milk mixture.
- Add water/milk/bouillon mixture to the rice and bring to a boil. Once boiling, immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered until the liquid is slightly below the surface of the rice and holes form in the rice. Cover the pot and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Allow to sit covered for another 30 minutes.