Prep 3 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Bittman's, "The Best Recipes in the World." If you like any of his recipes, you may as well go ahead and buy the book. It's fantastic, both as a reference and for its recipes.
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 bay leaf (or 1 tsp. peeled and minced fresh garlic) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups short-grain rice (or long-grain...particularly jasmine)
- 1⁄2 cup cooked beans (moist kidney, pinto, pink or black beans)
- Combine coconut milk, bay leaf (or garlic) if you're using it, and rice. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add some salt, lower heat to low and cover. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure it doesn't scorch.
- Uncover. Cook, stirring over low heat, until rice is tender and mixture is creamy, about 15 minutes. At about the 10-minute mark, stir in beans. If liquid evaporates before rice is done, stir in water (about 1/2 cup at a time), and cook until done.
This was delicious!! I added a little honey for sweetness, lime to compliment the coconut, and just a small touch of cayenne to balance the honey.
This was great! I was careful to check liquid levels based on other reviews, but everything was fine! I used different proportions than called for: half the rice and coconut milk but a whole can of black beans. Also, I added salt and a bit of hot pepper. made for ZWT9
A very good starter recipe. I cut the original recipe in half. I used the BasiL. I added frozen green peas, a dash of nutmeg, a dash of turmeric for color and vegetable bouillon. Be careful not to over do the boulion.