1 hr 10 mins
Super easy and super delicious, this is a slow-braised chicken dish with sweet potatoes, green bell peppers and coconut milk. Flavorful cilantro-scented (or skip the cilantro!) broth turns into a rich sauce. Serve with seasonal vegetables and you have a great meal. This is a recipe by a fellow named Keith Snow. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (as needed, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground (as needed, to taste)
- 2 lbs chicken legs with thigh, skin on
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk, canned
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (as needed)
- 2 tablespoons cold water (as needed)
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced
- cilantro or parsley, chopped, to garnish
- 1In a dish, combine the flour, cumin powder, rubbed sage, salt and pepper together. Dredge chicken legs in flour mixture until thoroughly coated.
- 2In a heavy Dutch oven over medium high, heat oil. Place the chicken legs with skin-side down and saute for about 15 minutes until nicely browned on one side. Then flip over and brown the other side.
- 3Add the diced onion and bell pepper and cilantro (or not). Season with a bit more salt and pepper, saute for additional 5 minutes.
- 4Then add the coconut milk, chicken stock and sweet potatoes. Cook covered for 30 to 35 minutes.
- 5In a small bowl, stir equal parts cold water & cornstarch; mix well to make slurry. Add half of slurry into the Dutch oven and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened. If not thick enough, add more slurry.
- 6Transfer the chicken on a serving platter, spoon over the sauce, garnish with cilantro, and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Coconut Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (560 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1320.8
- Calories from Fat 667
- Total Fat 74.1 g
- Saturated Fat 28.8 g
- Cholesterol 256.0 mg
- Sodium 927.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 58.8 g
- Protein 64.9 g