Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Super easy and super delicious, this is a slow-braised chicken dish with sweet potatoes, green bell peppers and coconut milk. Flavorful cilantro-scented (or skip the cilantro!) broth turns into a rich sauce. Serve with seasonal vegetables and you have a great meal. This is a recipe by a fellow named Keith Snow. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (as needed, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground (as needed, to taste)
- 2 lbs chicken legs with thigh, skin on
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk, canned
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (as needed)
- 2 tablespoons cold water (as needed)
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced
- cilantro or parsley, chopped, to garnish
- In a dish, combine the flour, cumin powder, rubbed sage, salt and pepper together. Dredge chicken legs in flour mixture until thoroughly coated.
- In a heavy Dutch oven over medium high, heat oil. Place the chicken legs with skin-side down and saute for about 15 minutes until nicely browned on one side. Then flip over and brown the other side.
- Add the diced onion and bell pepper and cilantro (or not). Season with a bit more salt and pepper, saute for additional 5 minutes.
- Then add the coconut milk, chicken stock and sweet potatoes. Cook covered for 30 to 35 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir equal parts cold water & cornstarch; mix well to make slurry. Add half of slurry into the Dutch oven and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened. If not thick enough, add more slurry.
- Transfer the chicken on a serving platter, spoon over the sauce, garnish with cilantro, and serve.