Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a vegan version of Crock Pot Caribbean Chicken and Potatoes
Make and share this Caribbean Coconut Black Beans in the Crock Pot recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans or 3 cups cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional for heat, I omit)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 4 russet potatoes or 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- Place beans, potatoes and tomatoes in crock pot.
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat and saute onions, garlic, brown sugar, cayenne, bell pepper, thyme and chili flakes (if using) until soft.
- Add the vegetable broth to the skillet and stir with a wooden spoon on low heat scraping up any browned bits in the skillet.
- Pour the broth/vegetables into the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 3-4 hours. Switch to low heat and add coconut milk for 30 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve over short grain brown rice.
OMG this was so good! I used 3 cans of rinsed black beans, a white and a yellow onion, one regular and one sweet potato. I don't remember how much of the crushed red pepper and cayenne I used, I didn't use all of it that the recipe called for since I'm feeding it to the kids. But Man! Yummy!! Thanks for a great recipe. =]
It was just OK, none of my vegetarian friends cared much for it. It was a little better the next day ater the flavors blended. I won't make it again