Recipe by catxx
From a super little book called "Quick Breads", this lovely aromatic bread is delicious spread with butter and honey. You MUST use fresh grated nutmeg, not that insipid dried stuff. It is also a terrific way to use up an open can of coconut milk (or cream). Very easy to make, too.
Top Review by **Mandy**
This was nice but I did find it a little dry, I think it needs a little butter or oil or applesauce even to give it some moistness..tasted good but just a little dry on the palate.
- 2 3⁄4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 2⁄3 cups coconut milk (I used coconut cream and a little water, actually)
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350°F.
- Butter an 8-cup loaf pan, and line the base with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, sugar & baking powder together in a large bowl and add the nutmeg.
- In another bowl, whizz together the coconut milk, mashed bananas and egg. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 1 1/4 hours, or until risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the pan for approximately ten minutes, then turn onto wire rack and allow to cool completely.