Recipe by Random Rachel
This coconut loaf is traditionally served as breakfast with Caribbean Buljol. It is a quick and easy bread, that goes well with tropical jams like guava, passion fruit, or mango. The recipe calls for fresh coconut, but frozen could easily be substituted. "To open a coconut, pierce the eyes with an ice pick, pour out the liquid. Break coconut open with a hammer and pry out meat then scrape off the brown skin. Chop or grate meat with your hand or in a processor." From recipeisland.com for ZWT9
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup of coarsely grated fesh coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Cut in the butter until you have a coarse, mealy texture.
- Add the grated coconut and coconut milk and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Gather into a ball, cover, and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400*F Shape dough into 7 inch round, and place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Cool about 30 minutes and serve while still slightly warm.