Recipe by Charlotte J
These look SO good! Make the night before as they need to be refrigerated before serving.
Top Review by Jostlori
OMG, these are so good! These practically flew off the plate... This first attempt was rather messy, but will definitely be making again. We really loved those layers. Yum! Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT9 - for the Gourmet Goddesses.
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1.23 ml salt
- 7.39 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 177.44 ml toasted almond, finely chopped (about 3 ounces)
- 14.79 ml dark rum
- 354.88 ml medium shred unsweetened coconut
- 118.29 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 29.58 ml dark rum
- 1.23 ml salt
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter
- 113.39 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped (at least 60% cocoa)
- 29.58 ml heavy cream or 29.58 ml evaporated milk
- 236.59 ml shredded coconut
- additional sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8x8-inch square pan with heavy-duty foil that extends over edges of pan and butter foil.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade or in a large bowl with a pastry blender, combine first 5 ingredients; add butter in small intervals while mixing until texture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add nuts and rum; blend.
- Press dough firmly and evenly into pan.
- Bake until crust deflates (it will puff at first) and edges are barely firm to touch, about 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly on wire rack.
- As crust cools, blend filling ingredients together in a bowl.
- When crust is firm and still warm, spoon on filling; spread evenly.
- Return pan to oven and bake until edges turn golden, about 15 minutes.
- Remove and cool in pan on wire rack.
- Make chocolate layer by combining all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat or microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat (in 30-second intervals, if in microwave) while whisking until melted and smooth.
- Pour hot topping over filling; spread evenly.
- If desired, sprinkle coconut and/or almonds evenly over top while chocolate layer is still hot.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before bringing to room temperature and cutting into bars.