Charlotte J's Note:
These look SO good! Make the night before as they need to be refrigerated before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup toasted almond, finely chopped (about 3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 1/2 cups medium shred unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line an 8x8-inch square pan with heavy-duty foil that extends over edges of pan and butter foil.
- 3In a food processor fitted with a metal blade or in a large bowl with a pastry blender, combine first 5 ingredients; add butter in small intervals while mixing until texture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- 4Add nuts and rum; blend.
- 5Press dough firmly and evenly into pan.
- 6Bake until crust deflates (it will puff at first) and edges are barely firm to touch, about 15 minutes.
- 7Cool slightly on wire rack.
- 8As crust cools, blend filling ingredients together in a bowl.
- 9When crust is firm and still warm, spoon on filling; spread evenly.
- 10Return pan to oven and bake until edges turn golden, about 15 minutes.
- 11Remove and cool in pan on wire rack.
- 12Make chocolate layer by combining all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat or microwave-safe bowl.
- 13Heat (in 30-second intervals, if in microwave) while whisking until melted and smooth.
- 14Pour hot topping over filling; spread evenly.
- 15If desired, sprinkle coconut and/or almonds evenly over top while chocolate layer is still hot.
- 16Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before bringing to room temperature and cutting into bars.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Coco-Almond Bars
Serving Size: 1 (1237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.2
- Calories from Fat 271
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 30.6 mg
- Sodium 111.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g