Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I have never made this recipe; posted in response to a request. I worked with a woman from Guyana many years ago, and she brought a Black Cake to a Christmas party one year; it was fabulous!
- 226.79 g butter, softened
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml browning sauce (helps to darken the cake, especially if you don't use dark rum in the cake) (optional)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml allspice
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4 large eggs
- 236.59 ml dark rum (brandy can be substituted, as can red wine)
- 113.39 g mixed peel
- 113.39 g cherries
- 113.39 g mixed nuts (unsalted) or 113.39 g nuts, of your choice
- 226.79 g prune, chopped
- 453.59 g raisins
- 1 lime, zest of, freshly grated
- 1 lemon, zest of
- Preheat oven to 325°F; spray a nine-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla and browning until soft and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- In a third bowl, beat the eggs with the rum.
- Add egg mixture to butter mixture and thoroughly combine, then stir in zest, fruit and nuts.
- Fold in flour mixture; do not overbeat.
- Put batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for approximately 90 minutes, or until cake tests done; may need longer.
- Remove cake from pan when cool.
Loved it! I do not understand why everyone waits for Christmas to make these delightful concoctions, I do them year round, though sometime I cheat and have them in form of steamed pudding (very similar). Didn't have any browning sauce so I used a TBSP of chicory coffee instead. Super recipe.
well what can i say,it was absolutely wonderful.It didn't last long.Now all the family want one for christmas.Thankyou so much.I guess i will be baking to christmas eve ha ha,I would change nothing about the recipe,i found it just perfect.
I love black cake, but I can't say that I'm the best baker. In the past, when I couldn't get it from family during Christmas, I would even order it online from websites like Aunt Eulie's. But I tried your recipe and I was so excited that it came out good. I am practicing so that I can feel confident to share my black cake with others.