1/3 Photos of Caribbean Chimichangas With Jamaican Pepper Sauce
Another delicious recipe from the National Chicken Council with my tweaks and substitutions. The sweet mango dipping sauce makes for a perfect accompaniment for the spicy filling. I love that this rendition features baking not frying. If you don't have jerk seasoning, don't buy it. Try Jerk Seasoning or Jamaican Jerk Rub instead. Cilantro is one of those things people love or hate - use the amount that suits your tastes. (WW Core people should read note.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked, diced in small cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed, drained
- 1/4-1/3 cup diced fresh cilantro
- 2 jalapeno peppers or 1 red chili pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 cup cooked rice, cooled (I used brown rice)
- 1 tablespoon jamaican jerk spice
- 12 large burrito-size flour tortillas (use reduced fat variety if this is a concern)
Jamaican Mango Pepper Sauce
- 1In large bowl, mix together chicken, black beans, onions, corn, cilantro, jalapeño peppers, rice and Jamaican jerk seasoning.
- 2On each tortilla, spoon about 1/3 to 1/2 cup chicken mixture just below center. Fold two sides of tortillas over filling. Fold over top and bottom edges of tortillas, making rectangles; secure with wooden picks.
- 3On greased baking sheet, place tortillas, folded side down. Spray chimichangas with cooking spray and bake in 425°F oven for 15 minutes, turning once.
- 4Remove picks and serve with mango pepper dipping sauce.
- 5Mango pepper dipping sauce: In medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Store in refrigerator until chimichangas are finished baking. Whisk again just before serving.
- 6For my friends who are also doing the WW Core program, this can be easily modified to meet the program. First, use brown not white rice. In making the sauce, use a lesser amount of water in place of the nectar. Also, skip the brown sugar or use Splenda. Now your only non-Core ingredient are the tortillas. Count points for those. I used a fat free version that was 3 points for 2 tortillas. If you are saving points, it's a wonderful entree salad with a fruity mango dressing.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Chimichangas With Jamaican Pepper Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 693.7
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 45.6 mg
- Sodium 986.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 36.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
jamaican jerk spice
jamaican jerk spice