Recipe by justcallmetoni
Another delicious recipe from the National Chicken Council with my tweaks and substitutions. The sweet mango dipping sauce makes for a perfect accompaniment for the spicy filling. I love that this rendition features baking not frying. If you don't have jerk seasoning, don't buy it. Try Jerk Seasoning or Jamaican Jerk Rub instead. Cilantro is one of those things people love or hate - use the amount that suits your tastes. (WW Core people should read note.)
Top Review by Canadian_in_the_Bay
This recipe is to die for. The tortilla comes out of the oven all nice and crispy, the filling and the sauce are both nice and spicy, and the chicken (despite being cooked twice) was wonderfully tender. I did everything exactly as stated in teh recipe except I used brown rice because I don't ever have white rice in the house. As a note, I filled each torilla with 1/2 cup of filling and I managed to get 15 chimichangas. This was fine with me, I cooked half last night and will bake the other half in a day or two. Thank you for a wonderful recipe that I will definitely be making again.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked, diced in small cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed, drained
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup diced fresh cilantro
- 2 jalapeno peppers or 1 red chili pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 cup cooked rice, cooled (I used brown rice)
- 1 tablespoon jamaican jerk spice
- 12 large burrito-size flour tortillas (use reduced fat variety if this is a concern)
Jamaican Mango Pepper Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mango nectar
- 1 mango, pureed
- 3 -5 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (I used Pick-A-Peppa Jamaican sauce)
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar (amount depends on the sweetness of your mango and personal preference)
- 2 teaspoons jamaican jerk spice
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, mix together chicken, black beans, onions, corn, cilantro, jalapeño peppers, rice and Jamaican jerk seasoning.
- On each tortilla, spoon about 1/3 to 1/2 cup chicken mixture just below center. Fold two sides of tortillas over filling. Fold over top and bottom edges of tortillas, making rectangles; secure with wooden picks.
- On greased baking sheet, place tortillas, folded side down. Spray chimichangas with cooking spray and bake in 425°F oven for 15 minutes, turning once.
- Remove picks and serve with mango pepper dipping sauce.
- Mango pepper dipping sauce: In medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Store in refrigerator until chimichangas are finished baking. Whisk again just before serving.
- For my friends who are also doing the WW Core program, this can be easily modified to meet the program. First, use brown not white rice. In making the sauce, use a lesser amount of water in place of the nectar. Also, skip the brown sugar or use Splenda. Now your only non-Core ingredient are the tortillas. Count points for those. I used a fat free version that was 3 points for 2 tortillas. If you are saving points, it's a wonderful entree salad with a fruity mango dressing.