Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sweet and spicy! I had this chili at a pampered chef party, lost the recipe and tried to recreate it. I have added my own lime juice and cilantro to this with diced tomatoes in case you cannot find the cilantro and lime flavored tomatoes. I have also used peach-mango salsa and pineapple salsa as well. The idea is to add 1 can of tomatoes per lb of meat/can of beans. We eat this with cornbread and topped with sour cream and cheddar cheese. Also makes a great chili dog.
- 1 lb ground turkey (Beef)
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) canlight red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (8 ounce) jar peach salsa (approximate measurement use the small jar size)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro
- 1 (15 ounce) can rotel, mild chili pepper flavored tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes and onions
- 1⁄2 sweet onion (about a 1/2 cup chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (I usually use red)
- 1 -3 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1 -3 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 -3 tablespoon southwest seasoning (Emeril's Southwest Essence)
- salt and pepper
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch Oven brown ground meat (If using lean meat put in a Tbsp of vegetable oil to prevent sticking). While meat is browning drain and rinse beans.
- Add chopped bell pepper and onion. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add beans and cook for a about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and salsa.
- Bring to a simmer and add spices, start out small until you reach the amount of kick you like. Depending on the heat in the salsa and the tomatoes you use, the amount of spice varies.
- Cook at a low simmer for about 30 minutes.
I have used this recipe a few times, adding my own tweaks here and there. Very easy to follow. Try adding a couple tbsp of brown sugar!