Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is a recipe from "The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever" by Natalie Haughton
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise then sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 3⁄4 cup converted white rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken (about 1/2 lb) or 2 cups turkey breast, strips (about 1/2 lb)
- 3 bananas, thinly sliced
Caribbean spice mix
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 pinch cayenne
- In 6 quart electric slow cooker, combine the onion, carrots, green and red peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, stock, corn, rice and spice mix ingredients.
- Stir to blend well.
- Cover and cook on the low heat setting 6-7 hours or until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the chicken or turkey.
- To serve, add almost one-half banana to each soup bowl.
- Ladle the soup over the bananas and serve at once.
if you just love overcooked zucchini and carrots, this is the soup for you. the bananas were kind of cute, but the soup had virtually no taste. don't bother.
My hubby and I saw this one and just had to try it. Spicey chicken and veggie soup... with bananas?! Surprisingly enough it went really well. The soup itself is good enough to stand alone without the bananas in it if that part turns you off. Myself, I found it to be a delightfully different flavor. The nice thing, is that since the bananas are added after the soup is done cooking, whoever wants to add them can add them when it's served. Thanks so much for posting this one. I'll definitely be making it again.