This is a very simple & satisfying soup with a lot of flavors & textures. I knew I had to enter it into RSC#8 when my usually picky 9yo dd requested the leftovers for breakfast!!! Cook time *does* include coconut prep time for which instructions are included below.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, whole, peeled & squished with your hand
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless & diced
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 2 sweet bell peppers, any color, diced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- reserved coconut juice
- 1Saute the chicken & onion in the oil.
- 2Add the remaining ingredients.
- 3Simmer 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld & the peppers to soften.
- 4**To prepare fresh coconut: Preheat oven to 350°F Use a Philips screwdriver to poke holes in 2 of the 3 'eyes' of the coconut. Set on a measuring cup to drain the liquid ("juice") while the oven is preheating. A few shakes help. When drained, place in oven for 15 minutes. Strain liquid to remove any debris & reserve liquid - it could be anywhere from 1/2c to 1 cup or more. After 15 minutes, remove coconut from ovem & crack on hard surface. Use a strong spoon or similar device to pry nutmeats from outer husk. Use a vegetable peeler (or paring knife) to remove brown layer from the nutmeats. Rinse & use as desired.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (682 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.6
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 741.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 32.4 g