Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a very simple & satisfying soup with a lot of flavors & textures. I knew I had to enter it into RSC#8 when my usually picky 9yo dd requested the leftovers for breakfast!!! Cook time *does* include coconut prep time for which instructions are included below.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, whole, peeled & squished with your hand
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless & diced
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 2 sweet bell peppers, any color, diced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coconut, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- reserved coconut juice
- Saute the chicken & onion in the oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld & the peppers to soften.
- **To prepare fresh coconut: Preheat oven to 350°F Use a Philips screwdriver to poke holes in 2 of the 3 'eyes' of the coconut. Set on a measuring cup to drain the liquid ("juice") while the oven is preheating. A few shakes help. When drained, place in oven for 15 minutes. Strain liquid to remove any debris & reserve liquid - it could be anywhere from 1/2c to 1 cup or more. After 15 minutes, remove coconut from ovem & crack on hard surface. Use a strong spoon or similar device to pry nutmeats from outer husk. Use a vegetable peeler (or paring knife) to remove brown layer from the nutmeats. Rinse & use as desired.
This soup was amazing! My young kids loved helping milk the coconut and cracking it open. I used dry onions and peppers and had to make some substitutions for the curry paste, but the soup tasted fantastic. I couldn't leave it alone. Thanks for the recipe!
Great Soup! I can see why your dd wanted it again for breakfast. I made it the night before, for lunch the next day... but it was gone before the night ended! I will be making this again! Good Luck Chef!
I was looking for something different that had all the ingredients I had on hand. I have never had coconut, except for a dessert. So this is what choose. Very glad that I did! My three generation of men liked this as well as myself! It has taste, flavor and texture to delight the tastebuds. I didn't have any problem following the receipe. I did take a little more prep time ONLY because I went to the yard and had to husk the coconut before I could use it in the soup. It's not really hard to do, so don't let the fresh coconut keep you from trying this! This is a winner. Good Caribbean flare. Thanks.