Recipe by Elmotoo
This is a very simple & satisfying soup with a lot of flavors & textures. I knew I had to enter it into RSC#8 when my usually picky 9yo dd requested the leftovers for breakfast!!! Cook time *does* include coconut prep time for which instructions are included below.
Top Review by SugarMuffin
This soup was amazing! My young kids loved helping milk the coconut and cracking it open. I used dry onions and peppers and had to make some substitutions for the curry paste, but the soup tasted fantastic. I couldn't leave it alone. Thanks for the recipe!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, whole, peeled & squished with your hand
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless & diced
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 2 sweet bell peppers, any color, diced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coconut, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- reserved coconut juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the chicken & onion in the oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld & the peppers to soften.
- **To prepare fresh coconut: Preheat oven to 350°F Use a Philips screwdriver to poke holes in 2 of the 3 'eyes' of the coconut. Set on a measuring cup to drain the liquid ("juice") while the oven is preheating. A few shakes help. When drained, place in oven for 15 minutes. Strain liquid to remove any debris & reserve liquid - it could be anywhere from 1/2c to 1 cup or more. After 15 minutes, remove coconut from ovem & crack on hard surface. Use a strong spoon or similar device to pry nutmeats from outer husk. Use a vegetable peeler (or paring knife) to remove brown layer from the nutmeats. Rinse & use as desired.