This is a great summer salad. It's really easy to make, and kids love it. I like to stuff the salad into pitas and serve it like that, but it can stand alone as well.
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 fresh mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 medium jicama, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 1⁄2 head green leaf lettuce, washed, dried, and sliced
- Whisk lime juice, honey, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Drizzle in oil, whisking until thickened.
- Place 1/4 c dressing in a shallow dish. Add chicken and marinate, covered, in fridge for 1 hour.
- Heat grill to medium and oil rack. Grill Chicken for 6 minutes per side, until cooked through, or broil for 5 min per side.
- Cool slightly, then cut into 1/2"-thick slices.
- Put remaining ingredients and chicken into a bowl. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Optional: Stuff salad into pitas and serve!
Note: Instead of grilling, I chopped the chicken up and sauteed it in the olive oil marinade. Came out great. Next time I will make the marinade stronger, so the flavor comes through more. My 8 yo son and I enjoyed this salad. My son gave it an "A+". My husband however who does not like beans - liked the chicken- but hated the beans, which he described as tasting "liver-ish" I suppose the heavy taste does take away from the fruity, sweet tastes of the rest of the salad. Next time I will hold the beans for my husband. He also doesn't like fruity or sweet marinades on his meat (picker than our son!) but I played with the marinade/dressing so that the sweetness of the honey and lime were balanced with the olive oil and garlic. Next time I will try the marinaded chicken over rice.
Good salad, with lots of great colors and textures. Next time, I think I will make some pita bread to go along with it. Thanks, Mosma! Made for Please Review My Recipe tag.
Well loved by everyone because of the beautiful colors, the flavor, and the salad makes a complete meal. Thanks for posting, mosma.