Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chicken in a coconut milk sauce served over rice. This dish is a very easy dish to prepare with a yummy flavour, my husband and my son love this one.
- 800 g chicken breasts, sliced into strips (up to 1 kg)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chile, finely chopped
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped, to garnish
- 350 g long grain rice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan, cook chicken in batches until browned, remove from pan, set to one side. Wipe pan clean.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in pan, add onion, garlic and chili. Cook until onion softens.
- Return chicken to pan, add coconut milk, saffron, stock, sugar and season with pepper, stir well. Simmer over medium low heat 20-25 Min's, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened slightly and reduced.
- While chicken is simmering, boil the rice until tender, drain.
- To serve: Place rice on plate, spoon chicken over rice and sprinkle chives and parsley over the top.
I modified this by removing the chicken bouillon and added lots of chopped vegies. It was great served with coconut rice