Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A traditional Caribbean recipe gives an exotic twist to the dinner table.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1in cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 inches piece gingerroot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded
- 1 tablespoon mild curry paste
- 1 2⁄3 cups coconut milk
- 1 large mango, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Rice and peas
- 12 ounces long grain rice
- 5 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Heat the oil in a medium size saucepan over a medium heat and add the onion, garlic and chilli. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 mins, or until sealed and lightly browned.
- Add the curry paste and cook for 1 min, add 3/4 of the coconut milk and simmer over a moderate heat for 20 minutes
- Stir in the mango and cilantro, and simmer for a further 5 minutes
- While the curry is cooking, prepare the rice and peas. Cook the rice as per pack instructions. Then, 5 mins before the end of cooking, add the coconut milk and red kidney beans.
- Drain and pile the rice onto individual plates, garnished with the scallions and top with the Caribbean chicken curry.