Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This tropically inspired dish is gently spiced to give a rich, warm flavour.
Make and share this Caribbean Chicken Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 300 ml hot chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 2⁄3 cups coconut milk
- Heat the oil in a deep pan. Brown the chicken all over in batches and set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
- Gently fry the onion until softened.
- Stir in garlic, ginger and spices and cook for a minute. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for another minute.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the stock.
- Add sweet potato and chicken.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in the coconut milk, and be sure to check the seasoning before serving.
First, I'll say that I've been longing for a "chicken cooked in coconut milk" recipe for quite awhile. This one wasn't quite what I had in mind, but I gave it a try anyway and was pleased with how it turned out. The flavor is mild but quite good. My only complaints really had nothing to do with the recipe itself, but the fact that first of all I overcooked the sweet potatoes so they kind of fell apart on me. And second, I think there are more than 4 servings in the recipe, so we were left with quite a few leftovers...and I am not as fond of it reheated as I was when it was first cooked. I think I would prefer to try this recipe again with chicken breast meat rather than thigh meat and maybe just make a half batch. Thanks for sharing!