Recipe by :)Shirl(:
Another one pot meal I serve over rice. Once again I double the vegies and liquid making more for the rice. Nice combination of flavors. Enjoy!
Top Review by deb12
Excellent! Half the recipe was 3 chicken breasts, which I boned and added back right before serving. 3 cups of cooked rice was the perfect amount with our half recipe. Used a yellow squash and about half the Can. bacon called for (so expensive!), so we upped the peppers a tad. Really different and delicious!
- 3 lbs whole chickens
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 3⁄4 ounces chicken broth
- 15 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ham or 1 lb Canadian bacon
- 2 yams or 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 zucchini
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken up into pieces legs, wings, thighs etc --.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes. Chop onions, zuchinni and ham.
- In plastic bag add flour, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken pieces to bag one or two at a time. Shake to coat.
- Heat skillet to medium high heat and brown chicken turning as necessary.
- When chicken is brown add to large soup pot.
- In skillet with chicken drippings add onions thyme, bay leaf, crushed hot red pepper flakes and any left over flour mix.
- Saute until spices and onions are blended and you can smell spices with the onions.
- Add spiced onions to soup pot with chicken.
- Pour can of chicken broth into skillet and scrape away any left over flour etc --.
- Pour soup and tomatoes into soup pot.
- Add sweet potatoes, ham and stir until chicken and vegies are mixed.
- Simmer until chicken is done.
- Last 10 minutes of cooking add zuchinni.
- Serve when all vegies and chicken are done.